Ask a Cardiologist: Dr Tee Chee Hian from Sunway Medical Centre Velocity Malaysia

Ask a Doctor ForumCategory: CardiologyAsk a Cardiologist: Dr Tee Chee Hian from Sunway Medical Centre Velocity Malaysia
dr. Tee Chee Hian asked 2 years ago
I am Dr. Tee Chee Hian, Cardiologist at Sunway Medical Centre Velocity, a comprehensive private hospital in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. My clinical focus covers:
  • Echocardiography
  • Stress Test
  • Dobutamine Stress Echocardiogram
  • Holter monitoring
  • ABPM
My procedural focus includes:
  • Coronary Angiogram
  • Coronary Angioplasty
  • Rotational Atherectomy
  • Orbital Atherectomy
  • IVUS
  • FFR
  • Pacemaker implantation
My educational qualifications include:
  • MD, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM)
  • MMed Internal Medicine, National University of Singapore (NUS)
  • Member of Royal College of Physicians (UnitedKingdom)
  • Memberof Royal College of Physicians (London)
I currently hold memberships in the Malaysia Medical Association (MMA), the National Heart Association of Malaysia (NHAM), and the Society of Cardiac Angiography and Intervention (SCAI), United States. Learn more about Sunway Medical Centre Velocity here: Learn more about me here: I am excited to be here to share/discuss Cardiovascular Health with everyone. Whether you've got questions about cardiovascular conditions, cardiovascular treatments or how to maintain good heart health, ask me anything! === Want to ask a question? Submit your question at the bottom of this page. Don’t forget to include your name and email address to get notified when the doctor answers your question.
15 Answers
Narenda Zarkasih answered 2 years ago
Doctor, my younger brother is 20 years old and was diagnosed with an enlarged heart. Now my family is discussing the best treatment with our doctor. If you don’t mind, I want to have a second opinion from you. What factors should we consider, knowing my brother is very young and I don’t want him to have further problems in his life if this disease is not fully treated.
dr. Tee Chee Hian replied 2 years ago

I need to know more about how your brother got his diagnosis – was it through an echocardiogram or other methods? In general, an enlarged heart is caused by many factors such as obesity, coronary heart disease, valve problems and so on. We need to check on his heart function – if the heart is functioning poorly and there is heart failure, a patient should not drink too much water. A less salty diet also needs to be recommended. People who have an enlarged heart should not have heart failure. If there is heart failure, apart from diet and water consumption restrictions, heart failure medication is also needed. I recommend that your brother get further tests in order to get a proper diagnosis.

hero answered 2 years ago
Doctor, I want to ask, what condition am I suffering from if I experience pain in the left chest?
dr. Tee Chee Hian replied 2 years ago

Pain in the left chest can be caused by many problems. The most important thing is that you need a heart check to make sure the pain is not caused by coronary heart disease. There are many tests that can be done including an echocardiogram, treadmill stress test and CT coronary angiogram. However, the pain in the left chest needs to be examined further.

Rahman Hakim answered 2 years ago
Doctor, do I still need blood thinning medicine if I already have a stent in my heart?
dr. Tee Chee Hian replied 2 years ago

Blood thinning medicines need to be taken continuously after implanting the stent.

Prastika Mufni answered 2 years ago
Doctor, I have pain in my chest and short breath. Two days ago, I rubbed my chest with medicated oil but it is now swollen and reddened. What should I do?
dr. Tee Chee Hian replied 2 years ago

Do not rub with medicated oil again. There is already inflammation on the chest due to rubbing with medication oil. If you have chest pain and shortness of breath, you should immediately go to a doctor for further treatment to find out if there is coronary heart disease.

Richard answered 2 years ago
Good afternoon. My father has a blockage in his heart that is caused by plaque. Besides taking cholesterol medication, what should he do?
dr. Tee Chee Hian replied 2 years ago

He will need to take blood thinning medicines too. It is necessary to pay attention to other risks such as diabetes, hypertension. If he smokes, it is important to stop smoking.

Tika Maharani answered 2 years ago
Doctor, can a child with congenital heart disease live normally?
dr. Tee Chee Hian replied 2 years ago

Yes, he can live a normal life if his condition is properly maintained and he does regular follow ups with his doctor.

lisa answered 2 years ago
Dear doctor, my ECG result was: "sinus rhythm with sinus arrhythmia with occasional premature ventricular complexes", below 10%. Am I in a dangerous condition? Is there any necessary treatment for me?
dr. Tee Chee Hian replied 2 years ago

It is not dangerous. But if there are symptoms such as pounding palpitations, further examination is needed.

Maria saldanha answered 2 years ago
Doctor, I have been having pain in my chest and back, and feeling drained out, since 3 years ago. Is there any explanation to this?
dr. Tee Chee Hian replied 2 years ago

Three years of pain in the chest and back can be caused by many things. I suggest you go to the hospital for blood and heart tests.

Putri Devi answered 2 years ago
Doctor, these 2 nights, I wake up in the middle of the night to feel my heart beating fast and I have cold sweats. I cannot go back to sleep afterwards. It will make me weak all day. Should I have an examination for my heart?
dr. Tee Chee Hian replied 2 years ago

Yes, you need to check your heart to make sure it's not coronary heart disease. You also need to check the blood to make sure the thyroid is normal.

Luky Amir answered 2 years ago
I have been feeling pain in my chest for more than one year. It also gives me cold sweat and imbalance when it recurs. I did a general check up once, but the result was fine. Please give me your advice, Doctor. What examination should I undergo?
dr. Tee Chee Hian replied 2 years ago

It is necessary to check the pain in your chest with a coronary CT scan and MRI of the brain to make sure there is no stroke or coronary heart disease.

Iwan susanto answered 2 years ago

Doctor, last February, I had a heart attack and then I had to have 2 stents implanted. But why do I still feel the pain until now? My ECG result was good. What happened to my heart, Doc? Thank you

dr. Tee Chee Hian replied 2 years ago

If there is chest pain after implanting the stent, you need to do a treadmill stress test for a solution. You may need to do another catheter to see the state of the stent. I am afraid the stent could have become clogged again.

Rudy Winarta answered 2 years ago

Can I check what you mean? When I did a treadmill test previously, you stopped me and said it was dangerous to continue. You also asked me if I felt any pain in my chest. I felt nothing and fine and I was confused why my treadmill stopped. Is this a sign of a weak heart? Is there any vitamin for it? It was 2017 before I had a total check up in HSC Kuala Lumpur and was diagnosed by you. Why wasn't I asked to do the treadmill when I had a check up? Only CT Scan that said there was 1 dirty line with plaque about 20%. Please give me some advice and explanation, because these few nights I have not been able to sleep, hard to breathe. What should I do, Doctor? Thank you very much. I am waiting for your reply asap.

dr. Tee Chee Hian replied 2 years ago

There are many reasons for a treadmill to stop. Most of the time it’s because we have reached the heart rate stage and target we need. Sometimes if the tension is too high while running on the treadmill, the doctor will tell you to stop for fear that the tension will be high again if you continue. Or if there are symptoms and there appears to be a change on the EKG during the treadmill, you will be asked to stop too. A treadmill stress test is a test that indirectly checks for blockage of the heart vessels but a CT scan is a test that directly checks for blockage of the heart vessels. So a CT scan is much more precise than a treadmill stress test. If the CT scan shows just a little blockage, you don’t need a treadmill stress test anymore. I need your treadmill results from Indonesia for further information.

Rudy Winarta answered 2 years ago

It has been more than 5 nights. I cannot sleep well because I have short breath. I wake up 1-3 times at night. I also lose my breath when I jog. I did a check up in 2017 and the result was good. There was only 1 line that was dirty around 20%. What is your analysis on this? I haven't smoked since March 2017 till now. Monday to Saturday I do exercise, a quick walk. Is it true that my heart is weak and I need a heart vitamin? Please give me your advice, Doc. What vitamin should I take? I consume fish oil and vitamin C everyday. Thank you, Doc. I am waiting for your reply.

dr. Tee Chee Hian replied 2 years ago

Your 2017 results showed mild lesion, but you are still experiencing shortness of breath. I think it’s time to do a thorough heart check-up now. You may need to repeat the CT Coronary angiogram and echocardiogram. The other tests that need to be done are CXR and Spirometry as you were a smoker previously. I will suggest to come here for further check-up again to make sure the 20% stenosis does not get worse. Q10 is a heart supplement that can improve heart function but only for those with poor heart function.

Susan answered 2 years ago

Doctor, my husband was diagnosed with a heart rate that can stop/pause. He did a treadmill test and the result was fine, and also his blood test and LPA. But his trigliserida and uric acid levels are high. Magnesium and other things are fine as well. His calcium and thyroid levels are slightly under the limit, which the doctor said affects his current heart condition insignificantly.

The problem is he has abnormal electrical activity in the upper domain heart chamber. My husband is stressed and feeling down with this problem. He also has a gas problem in his stomach.

What is the treatment he should do for abnormal heart electricity? The doctor said that if it is not more than 10,000, then it is not a problem. But a heart problem scares us all. Please give me your advice, Doc. Thanks

dr. Tee Chee Hian replied 2 years ago

Firstly we need to know how long the heart stops and whether the patient is symptomatic or not. If there is significant pause then he will need pacemaker implantation. For this, he will need to do a holter monitoring to determine the average heart rate. Apart from that your husband needs an echocardiogram to assess heart function.

putri answered 2 years ago

Doctor, my father was diagnosed with heart failure because there are 4 severe blockages and very large swelling. After angioplasty, the doctor said surgery cannot be done because he is 65 years old and he cannot implant a stent because it will take 3 stents and it is high risk - there is a chance for him to pass away on the surgery table. His heart function is only 27% of the normal. Is there really no hope for this case, Doc?

dr. Tee Chee Hian replied 2 years ago

There is still hope, don’t worry. You can send a CD for me to review. There is now a cure for heart failure. Your dad will need an MRI of the heart as well to check his heart function accurately.

Share this thread with a friend:

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp
Share on email

Your compare list