Ask a Cardiothoracic Surgeon: Dr Hardip Singh from Sunway Medical Centre Malaysia

Ask a Doctor ForumCategory: Cardiothoracic SurgeryAsk a Cardiothoracic Surgeon: Dr Hardip Singh from Sunway Medical Centre Malaysia
dr. Hardip Singh asked 3 years ago
I am Dr. Hardip Singh, Cardiothoracic Surgeon at Sunway Medical Centre based in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. My clinical focus covers:
  • Coronary Artery Disease
  • Valvular Heart Disease
  • Aortic Disease
  • Grown Up Congenital Heart Disease
  • Atrial Septal Defect
  • Thoracic Surgery
My procedural focus includes:
  • Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting (CABG)
  • Heart Valve repair /replacement
  • Aortic Surgery
  • Atrial Septal Defect Surgery
  • Thoracic Surgery
My educational qualifications include:
  • MS (UM)
  • MRCSEd FAMS (CTh, S’pore)
  • FRCSEd (CTh), FRCS England (CTh)
  • FRCS Glasgow
  • MEBCTS (Cardiac Surgery)
  • ANZCTS (CTh Australia)
I currently hold memberships in the European Association of Cardiothoracic Surgery (EACTS), the International Society of Heart Lung Transplant (ISHLT), the International Society of Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery (ISMICS), the Society of Thoracic Surgery (STS) USA, the Australian New Zealand Cardiothoracic Surgery Society (ANZCTS) and the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (RACS). Learn more about Sunway Medical Centre here: Learn more about me here: I am excited to be here to share/discuss Heart Health with everyone. Whether you've got questions about what heart diseases, surgery relating to the heart or lungs, or you want advice on maintaining good cardiac health, ask me anything! === Want to ask a question? Submit your question at the bottom of this page. Don’t forget to include your name and email address to get notified when the doctor answers your question.
12 Answers
Rivan Aprianto answered 3 years ago
I often lose my breath and I am having problems even doing light exercise, such as walking a slight distance. I’ll be feeling a burning sensation in my chest. I am 25 years old. Is it possible for a young man like me to have heart disease? Or is this a lung problem? Should I be worried and get an examination?
dr. Hardip Singh replied 3 years ago

You should get checked and have a heart exam / test : echocardiogram and a chest X-ray for the lungs assessment.

Musliadi Husen answered 3 years ago
Doctor, my body is shaking as fast as my heart rhythm, I feel a throbbing sensation in my stomach, my throat also “beats” like as though it's a heartbeat. Sometimes if I stand for too long, I feel as if I am going to fall, and my right chest feels full of gas. My electrocardiogram and echocardiogram results are normal. What disease is this, Doc?
dr. Hardip Singh replied 3 years ago

You need to do a Holter 24 hr test to exclude paroxysmal atrial fibrillation, and check your thyroid function test. If all this is normal then you need to consult an internal medicine specialist.

Aha Huang answered 3 years ago
Good afternoon, Doctor.  I get tired easily and experience shortness of breath during activity. My chest often hurts. What should I do? Thank you
dr. Hardip Singh replied 3 years ago

Chest pain requires investigation like stress test , echocardiogram or coronary angiogram.

Niken answered 3 years ago
My husband is 40 years old and was diagnosed with pneumothorax. He complained about fast heartbeat and shortness of breath. The doctor said it takes time to be cured. Is it a serious disease Doc? Can you give us some advice, what we should do to get better soon? Are there any certain medicines we should take?
dr. Hardip Singh replied 3 years ago

For pneumothorax, I will need to know if it’s first time or more then once , how bad is it?

The usual treatment depends on size of pneumothorax which ranges from a chest drainage procedure to surgery or just nothing for a small pneumothorax.

The treatment will relief the condition immediately.

Tosi Sudarna answered 3 years ago
Doctor, two days ago I had a fever and felt pain at the center upper part of my heart, like a stabbing sensation. Now the fever is better but the pain persists, even more so if I move my body. Why is this so, Doc? Please give me your advice
dr. Hardip Singh replied 3 years ago

The fever associated with chest pain can be a manifestation of viral fever or part of a lung infection . Complete the antibiotics treatment, get a chest X-ray. This will help.

Syifa answered 3 years ago
Hello doctor. Last month my father had a heart valve replacement surgery. Now, at night, he often wakes up and complains about the pain in his chest. Is this normal for a patient like him? Is there anything he should avoid doing?
dr. Hardip Singh replied 3 years ago

Well in this case all I can advise is please visit the doctor that operated on your father and seek his advice .
It is unfair to make a comment in this case that has been operated when there are no reports available.

Nissa answered 3 years ago
Hello, Doctor. My husband was diagnosed with a narrowing of coronary arteries. I am considering bypass surgery. The problem is my husband has diabetes. Is bypass surgery safe for him? Or do you have any suggestions?
dr. Hardip Singh replied 3 years ago

Bypass surgery is safe in diabetes patients as long as diabetes is well controlled.

Rega Ardiniputri answered 3 years ago
Doctor, I have a problem with a thickening heart wall. How do I treat it? Thank you.
dr. Hardip Singh replied 3 years ago

For thickening of heart muscle – detailed evaluation with echocardiogram and MRI Heart is needed. Based on the evaluation then management can be planned.

Donny Kusuma answered 3 years ago
Doctor, I am a 62 year old male and have narrow blood vessels. I feel like I am going to black out whenever I feel tired. Currently I am taking medications prescribed by the doctor. I want to ask, can surgery solve this problem permanently so I get totally cured?
dr. Hardip Singh replied 3 years ago

The narrowing of the blood vessels if significant then an intervention has to be done.

Surgery – heart bypass can only be considered after seeing the report. Prior to surgery a full work up and test is to be performed. Surgery will cure the symptoms.

ridho answered 3 years ago
Good afternoon, Doctor. This past month I have been having problems swallowing food. When I finally swallow my food, my chest feels so painful. I have to eat slowly because in between spoonfuls, I have to withstand the pain in my chest. Why is this so, Doc?
dr. Hardip Singh replied 3 years ago

You need to check for any gastro or esophagus issues, you will need to do a endoscopy to check the esophagus and stomach to exclude diseases like peptic ulcer disease , GERD etc. I don’t know your age hence I can’t comment more than this.

Hesty Utami answered 3 years ago
Doctor, my left chest hurts, and the pain radiates to my shoulders. This usually happens after I work overtime. Why is this so? What should I do?
dr. Hardip Singh replied 3 years ago

I would recommend you to check with a doctor to investigate for heart disease.

Prayitno answered 3 years ago
Hello Doctor. Last night, after exercising, I took a cold bath. In the middle of the night I woke up because my heart was suddenly beating faster. This morning I felt exhausted. Is this a sign of a heart attack?
dr. Hardip Singh replied 3 years ago

I would suggest you check with a doctor to exclude any heart disease.

Share this thread with a friend:

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp
Share on email

Your compare list