Ask an Endocrinologist: Dr Goh Kian Peng from Farrer Park Hospital Singapore & Mount Alvernia Hospital Singapore

Ask a Doctor ForumCategory: EndocrinologyAsk an Endocrinologist: Dr Goh Kian Peng from Farrer Park Hospital Singapore & Mount Alvernia Hospital Singapore
dr. Goh Kian Peng asked 3 years ago
I am Dr Goh Kian Peng, Medical Director and Endocrinologist at Saint-Julien Clinic for Diabetes & Endocrinology based in Mount Alvernia Hospital Singapore and Farrer Park Hospital Singapore. I studied medicine at the National University of Singapore and pursued further specialist training at the Aberdeen Royal Infirmary and the University of Aberdeen in Scotland. I subsequently received my fellowship by the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh (UK). I am dually accredited in both Endocrinology and Internal Medicine, enabling me to provide a high quality of personalised and holistic specialist care. I have been awarded research grants from the National Medical Research Council, Endocrine Metabolic Society of Singapore and Alexandra Health, and have shared my findings and clinical experience on exercise, diabetes prevention, thyroid diseases and sodium disorders through publications in peer-reviewed scientific journals and books. I was formerly a Senior Consultant and the first Head of Khoo Teck Puat Hospital (KTPH) Department of Medicine Unit 2 and Division of Endocrinology. There, I oversaw the hospital’s endocrine subspecialty development and spearheaded hospital-wide initiatives such as the thyroid service, multidisciplinary thyroid cancer protocol, inpatient diabetes protocols and diabetes exercise programme. Learn more about Mount Alvernia Hospital here: and Farrer Park Hospital here: Learn more about me here: I am happy to be able to share/discuss Diabetes and Endocrinology with you and will be actively answering questions. Ask me any questions you may have about diabetes, thyroid disorders and endocrinology. === Want to ask a question? Submit your question at the bottom of this page. Don’t forget to include your name and email address to get notified when the doctor answers your question.
9 Answers
Risky Pratama answered 3 years ago
I used to have a lump on my left thyroid and have had it removed. My PA shows a cancer cell in the papillary. I was advised to undergo a surgery to remove my right thyroid.
dr. Kian Peng Goh replied 3 years ago

In general, once papillary thyroid cancer is diagnosed, surgery is recommended. Depending on the size and stage of the cancer, it may be a limited surgery to remove the affected half of the thyroid gland or a total thyroidectomy where the entire thyroid is removed. The main purpose of surgery is to remove the tumour to increase the chances of survival. In rare instances, surgery may not be necessary and the patient should discuss the options fully with their doctors to understand the risks and benefits of all options.

Yusni Nani answered 3 years ago
Doc, I read an article online that hyperthyroidism can lead to heart disease. Is this true? I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism 4 months ago and I am currently taking medication. A few days ago, my heart started beating fast and I felt weak. Do I need to consult a Cardiologist? Or are these symptoms normal for a person with hyperthyroidism?
dr. Kian Peng Goh replied 3 years ago

In general, both hypothyroidism or hyperthyroidism, can adversely affect the heart. The palpitations that may be felt in hyperthyroidism may result from either a fast heart beat or an irregular heart beat. If it is due to an irregular heart beat, then a cardiology review is usually recommended. Otherwise, if it is due to a fast heart beat, then your endocrinologist may prescribe a medication to temporarily control the heart rate while waiting for the thyroid hormone to normalize.

Dimas Syarief answered 3 years ago
Doc, I am a 35 year old male with diabetes mellitus in my family history. My father was diagnosed with DM 10 years ago and still routinely takes insulin injections to this day. Am I at risk to have DM as well? How do I prevent it, Doc?
dr. Kian Peng Goh replied 3 years ago

A positive family history of diabetes is a risk factor. This risk will go up with age and unhealthy lifestyle habits. Of these, age and genes are non-modifiable and it is only the lifestyle factors that are within our control, such as diet, exercise and maintaining a healthy body weight. In addition, it is important to go for yearly screening for diabetes if you are at risk.

Ririn Anggraeni answered 3 years ago
I am currently 34 weeks pregnant with my first child. These last few weeks, my body often trembles, I have sleeping problems, my heart beats faster, and I have problems with gaining weight even though I am pregnant. In my 34 weeks of pregnancy, I only gained 10 kg. Two days ago, an OBGYN thought I was having hyperthyroidism and he suggested I consult an endocrinologist. I am terrified and worried - is hyperthyroidism dangerous for me and my baby?
dr. Kian Peng Goh replied 3 years ago

Symptoms of hyperthyroidism include weight loss or poor weight gain, feeling hot easily and palpitations. There are many causes of hyperthyroidism and it is important to determine the cause before deciding on the appropriate treatment. But the first step will be to obtain a blood test to ascertain whether or not there is hyperthyroidism.

Ratimel Ratimel answered 3 years ago
Doc, I am a 26 year old male. I have history of skin disease, so since I was a teenager I have often consumed drugs containing steroids. Now I am having a hair loss problem. Is this due to my steroid consumption?
dr. Kian Peng Goh replied 3 years ago

It depends on what kind of steroids you were given. I assume that it is corticosteroids, which is a type of steroid often used to treat eczema or skin allergies. Androgenic steroids, on the other hand, may be associated with male pattern baldness.

Zizah answered 3 years ago
My father had diabetes for 20 years. This year, he’s been feeling a tingling sensation in his feet. He saw an internist and a neurologist, but there is no improvement in his condition. Can you give me some advice, Doc? Thank you
dr. Kian Peng Goh replied 3 years ago

It is possible that your father has peripheral neuropathy due to diabetes. This is a form of diabetic complication where the nerves are affected and a formal diabetic foot screening may help to confirm this. Treatment involves ensuring good diabetic control and starting on certain medications which may help the tingling sensation.

Farid answered 3 years ago
I have an excessive appetite. Is this due to hormonal issues?
dr. Kian Peng Goh replied 3 years ago

Excessive appetite may be due to many causes and a hormonal issue is just one of them. Some hormonal causes include hyperthyroidism and Cushing's syndrome. It is important to see a doctor so that a proper assessment can be done including relevant investigations.

masriani dewi answered 3 years ago
I have a potassium deficiency problem. Usually I take Aldactone to stabilise my potassium levels. Now the drug is not in the market anymore. What is the substitute for it? And what causes my potassium level to keep decreasing? Thank you, Doc.
dr. Kian Peng Goh replied 3 years ago

It is important to determine the reason for the potassium deficiency by screening for certain disorders. This will include doing blood and urine tests.

Aldactone is a medication that helps to conserve the potassium in the body and generally should not be used to treat low potassium until a proper evaluation to determine the cause has been done.

Lim yanti answered 3 years ago
Good afternoon, Doc. My son is 14 years old, his height is 165cm and he weighs 91kg. On May 20, when he was defecating, he suddenly screamed, telling me he was having a headache. He asked me to cover his eyes with a towel because the light from the lamp hurt his eyes. The pain lasted for around 20 minutes. I took him to the Emergency department and there the doctor examined his nerves, using some kind of EKG tools but for the head. The doctor said my son had less oxygen flow to the head. His blood pressure was normal at 110/80. The doctor took my son for a CT-angiogram, but because the machine was down after 30 minutes, the examination was cancelled. I then took my son to another neurologist in another hospital. The doctor asked my son to have an MRI and MRA. The doctor said the result was good and he didn’t give us any medicines. This was May 27. Until today, my son still complains about headaches when he strains while defecating or when he laughs out loud.  I have been measuring his blood pressure from May 28 until today. The result was in the range of 130/78 to 141 /81. I decided to give him half of Irbesartan (150 mg). Since he took Irbesartan on May 29, his highest tension was 137. I also give him cucumber juice 3 times a day. His blood pressure is now under 140 but I am still not sure if this is hypertension or another problem. Should I do a blood or kidney test? Thank you, Doc.
dr. Goh Kian Peng replied 3 years ago

Hypertension in the young should be evaluated carefully as there is a higher probability of secondary hypertension (hypertension as a result of another medical condition). Part of the evaluation should include certain hormonal blood and urine tests and a kidney scan to assess the blood vessels of the kidneys.

Share this thread with a friend:

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp
Share on email

Your compare list