Ask a Urologist: Dr Ong Chin Hu from Mount Alvernia Hospital Singapore

Ask a Doctor ForumCategory: UrologyAsk a Urologist: Dr Ong Chin Hu from Mount Alvernia Hospital Singapore
dr. Ong Chin Hu asked 3 years ago
I am Dr Ong Chin Hu, Consultant Urologist at Ace Urology Clinic & Surgery based in Mount Alvernia Hospital Singapore. I graduated with my Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (Honours) from the University of New South Wales, Sydney, Australia and completed my Basic Surgical Training with the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (RACS). Thereafter, I further my Advanced Surgical Urology training at Alexandra Hospital, Singapore and National University Hospital, Singapore. I underwent my fellowship training on Uro-oncology and Reconstructive Urology under distinguished Urologist, Professor Urs Studer at the Bern University Hospital, Switzerland. One year later, I worked as the Laparoscopic Uro-oncology & Stone Surgery Fellow at Nepean Hospital (teaching hospital of University of Sydney) in Sydney, Australia under Professor M Khadra. I was the Japanese Urological Association (JUA) International Foundation Scholar in 2012, for which I received further training in Robotic Surgery under Professor Masato Fujisawa at Kobe University Hospital, Japan. I have Fellowship recognition from various international institutions including the Academy of Medicine, Singapore, the European Board of Urology, and the Royal College of Surgeons’ of Glasgow. I am currently a visiting Urologist to Mount Elizabeth Hospital (Orchard & Novena), Gleneagles Hospital, Mt Alvernia Hospital and Parkway East Hospital. I am also the assistant renal transplant surgeon with the National Organ Transplant Unit (NOTU). The areas of practice I look into include:
  • Screening and treatment of haematuria (blood in urine)
  • Screening and treatment of abnormal PSA (prostate cancer screening)
  • Urinary tract stones/kidney Stones
  • Prostate, Kidney, Bladder and Testicular Cancers
  • Minimally invasive, Endoscopic & Robotic Urological surgery
  • Male & Female Urinary tract symptoms e.g. BPH, LUTS, Voiding dysfunction.
  • Urinary tract Infections (Male & Female) e.g. recurrent UTIs, Prostatitis -Male Sexual Dysfunction e.g. erectile dysfunction, premature ejaculation.
  • Sexually Transmitted Disease
  • Male andropause (late onet hypogonadism)
  • Male Circumcision (above 12 year-old), Vasectomy etc.
Learn more about Mount Alvernia Hospital here: Learn more about me here: I am excited to be here to share/discuss Urological Health with everyone. Ask me anything! === Want to ask a question? Submit your question at the bottom of this page. Don’t forget to include your name and email address to get notified when the doctor answers your question.
15 Answers
RM answered 3 years ago
Hello Doctor. I am 30 years old and have been suffering from erectile dysfunction since 1 month ago. I smoke and drink alcohol. Does it affect my sexual health?
dr. Ong Chin Hu replied 3 years ago

Yes of course.

Smoking and alcohol adversely affects your general health including your mental, nervous, vascular and hormonal systems.

To achieve good erection, all these systems need to work well together.

Hence, my advice is you should stop smoking and drinking alcohol if you want to achieve good general and sexual health.

Bimo answered 3 years ago
Doc, I am 27 years old and don’t have any disease history. But when I urinate, I feel pain. I decided to see a doctor. The USG shows I have a tumor in my bladder. Is this dangerous? Is there any chance this tumor might turn into cancer?
dr. Ong Chin Hu replied 3 years ago

The USG performed by your doctor is not diagnostic of a bladder tumour.

You would need to see a Urologist to perform a Cystoscopy (scope to look into the bladder), and if a tumour is confirmed on cystoscopy, your Urologist would need to perform a biopsy of the tumour to determine if it is benign or cancerous.

The seriousness of your condition will depend on the histology of the tumour.

RN answered 3 years ago
Doctor, my husband is 32 years old. There has been blood in his urine since 2 weeks ago. It stopped for 3 days and then recurred (red blood). He also feels pain in the middle of his back. Is this dangerous?
dr. Ong Chin Hu replied 3 years ago

Given your husband's age, and his back pain and visible blood in his urine, he most likely has urinary stone disease.

He needs to see a Urologist to have a scan of his urinary system to confirm the cause of his symptoms.
If a urinary stone is confirmed, your Urologist can suggest to you the management plan.

ema answered 3 years ago
Hello Doctor, I want to ask - these 2 days I spot pus in my urine and when urinating, it is painful and hot. What disease is this, Doc? Is this dangerous?
dr. Ong Chin Hu replied 3 years ago

Your symptom is suggestive of a Urinary Tract Infection (UTI). UTI is a common problem in females and less common in males.

Your doctor can arrange for a urine examination and urine culture, and start you on antibiotics. Most UTI would settle after a course of antibiotics.

R answered 3 years ago
Doctor, I am a 28 year old male and haven’t been circumcised. Now I feel pain when I urinate and this happens many times a month. I read an article that said it is common for people who are not circumcised. Do I need to get circumcised, Doc?
dr. Ong Chin Hu replied 3 years ago

Most un-circumcised males can lead normal healthy life with no problems. However, some un-circumcised males may have a tight and un-retractable penile foreskin called PHIMOSIS. This condition can result in poor hygiene of the penile head (glans) as it cannot be cleansed properly. It predisposes one to re-current inflammation and infection of the penile foreskin and urinary tract infection. If you have such condition (as assessed by your doctor) – then yes, you may benefit from a "medical" circumcision.

Candra Respati answered 3 years ago
Doctor, I have a habit of holding in my urine when I am working. Now I have a dysuria problem that occurs 2-3 times a week. What should I do to treat this? Is this due to me holding in my urination too often?
dr. Ong Chin Hu replied 3 years ago

The lower urinary tract (bladder and urethra) keeps itself clean by frequent and regular voiding. If you hold your urination for long hours, the urine does not flush often enough, and thus bacteria can take the opportunity to stay in the system longer to multiply and grow resulting in urinary tract infection. Hence my advice is you drink sufficient and void at regular and shorter interval to avoid urinary tract infection.

Permadi answered 3 years ago
Doctor, is it true that erectile dysfunction can be treated by consuming healthy food and through exercising?
Berdikari sembiring answered 3 years ago
Doctor, my husband complains that he feels pain when urinating and he feels as though there is still urine left in his bladder after completing the stream. His doctor said it is due to a reduced bladder and bacteria. The doctor gave him antibiotics but there is no improvement. Please give us your advice, Doc?
OK answered 3 years ago
Doctor, I have a problem with premature ejaculation. This makes me unconfident when I have sex. My wife suggested I do kegel exercises. Will that work, Doc? Or is there something I should do?
dr. Ong Chin Hu replied 3 years ago

Premature ejaculation is very common among males. Traditional treatment with Kegel exercise generally will not help in treating permature ejaculation.

You may want to seek treatment with your doctor or Urologist as there is medicine i.e. Priligy which may help in your condition.

Hafiz answered 3 years ago
Doctor, there is a lump in my testicle. It doesn’t hurt. But if I press it, it is painful. What problem is this doc? Is it okay to leave it? Thank you
dr. Ong Chin Hu replied 3 years ago

A lump at the testis is always a concern especially when it does not hurt.

You need to see your doctor to have a proper assessment and imaging to exclude testicular tumour which may be benign or malignant.

Ayu answered 3 years ago
Doctor, it has been 1 week since my 9 year old son has been experiencing fresh blood close to the end of his urine stream. The urine test shows no bacteria. He was given antibiotics but there was no improvement. We took him to an urologist. The USG showed both of his kidneys are good, but there was thickening of his bladder, with suspected bladder tumor. He was advised to have a CT Scan. Is it possible for a child to have a bladder tumor? If so, what is the cause? What is the treatment?
dr. Ong Chin Hu replied 3 years ago

At 9 years old, it is un-likely that your son has a bladder tumour.

However he needs investigation for his blood in the urine to determine the cause, and usually that would involve a CT scan and Cystoscopy (scope procedure to look into the bladder).

Phie Lian Siu answered 3 years ago
Doctor, when I urinate, I feel my penis is burning. What is the cause, doctor? My USG and urine test showed no problems. Please give me your answer, Doc. Thank you
dr. Ong Chin Hu replied 3 years ago

Your symptom is consistent with a urinary tract infection. I am surprised that your Urine test is normal.
Perhaps you would like to repeat your urine test again, and if it is normal and your symptom is persistent – you may need a Cystocopy (scope procedure to look at the lower urinary tract) to properly examine your urinary tract and find out the cause of your pain.

Henny Widjaja answered 3 years ago
Doctor, I am 46 years old. I was diagnosed with 4.8cm myoma. Since 3 months ago, I have been urinating quite often. Is it possible that my myoma is pressing on my bladder, Doc? Thank you
Dani Sulung answered 3 years ago
Doctor, how do we know if we have watery sperm? Can it only be detected by a doctor? And if so, how can I cure it?
Moch Zaenuri answered 2 years ago
Post bladder surgery & catheter removal, my lower abdomen often hurts and I frequently urinate. Sometimes my urine is unable to be produced, and it hurts a little, and there are also blood clots in my urine occasionally. The surgery was done on 20 July 2020 & the catheter was removed on 4 August 2020. Could you explain why, Doctor?

Share this thread with a friend:

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp
Share on email

Your compare list